If you are on the road often and have a fairly active lifestyle, you understand the importance of being able to bring your equipment wherever you go, be it skis, kayaks, bicycles, or even camping gear. This is where a quality and reliable roof rack can come in handy. Having that extra storage space up top can do wonders for your peace of mind. But there are a number of different roof racks and other roof storage accessories for cars out there, and you have to take several things into account before ultimately making the roof rack purchase that is right for you.
Here, we will look at the various types of roof racks you can get and also touch on some of the best roof racks for cars on the market.
What Is a Roof Rack?
Before we get into the various types of roof racks, we need to look at the different parts of the roof rack itself. Generally, a roof rack is composed of three basic parts: the mount, the tower, and the cross bars.
First off, the mount is the part of the rack that attaches to the vehicle itself.
What sort of mount you get is based on the make and model of your vehicle. The cross bars are simply that: the bars the go across your rack. Finally, the tower connects the mount to the cross bars.
5 Best Roof Racks
- Instant cargo space for vehicle with cross bars
- Easy to assemble and install (assembly and mounting hardware are included)
- Attaches to most cross bars with easy to use U-bolts for simple installation
- Includes rubber caps to cover the U-bolts and protect the cargo
- Rust resistant finish to resist corrosion
- Fitment: Universal Fit For Most 4-Door Models Vehicles ( Cars, SUVs, Trucks, etc ) with Naked Roof (**IMPORTANT NOTE: Will not fit vehicles with any types of actual side rails, like integrated side rails, raised side rails)
- Design: Window-Frame-Type Aluminum Roof Rack Cross Bars With Mounts & Locks ( Comes With 3 Different Sizes Of Mounts To Fit For Your Car Models )
- Rail: 48" In Length. Adjustable Distance: 52" Maximum In Length
- Color: Black
- High Quality Removable Roof Rack Cross Bars made of light-weight Aluminum. Durable Tube Construction with Hold Up To a 150lb Capacity. They Attach To Side Window Frames To Transport Luggage, Ladders, or any other cargo
- HIGH QUALITY ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION – Our design features a rigid aluminum body that cuts down on weight without sacrificing strength!
- 150 LBS LOAD CAPACITY – Whether it’s a kayak, mountain bike, or skis, these cross bars will get your favorite toys to where the fun happens!
- SAFE AND SECURE – A heavy duty clamping mechanism ensures the cross bars will remain firmly fastened to the existing side rails, and the keyed locking mechanism will make sure they stay put!
- MEASURES 52” END TO END – Fits a maximum of a 46” span between side rails, providing ample room for your gear!
- RAISED SIDE RAILS WITH GAP REQUIRED – Fits most vehicles with existing raised side rails with gap (maximum 46” span between side rails)!
- Universal cross rail roof rack mounts to most cars, SUVs, or crossovers with pre-installed raised side rails; 52 inch width; vehicle must have pre-installed roof rails with a minimum 1/2 inch gap between roof and rails
- Aerodynamic design eliminates wind noise or vibration, even at highway speeds
- Heavy-duty aluminum crossbars offer a strong, lightweight construction that’s resistant to corrosion; 165 pound capacity
- Easy installation with rubber-coated steel clamps that provide superior grip and damage protection
- Built-in locking system on roof crossbars to prevent it being stolen
- 【Heavy Duty Construction】Bottom metal bars and side rails help keeping your belongings in place while providing plenty of tie down points
- 【Powder Coated Finish】Black powder coated finish, Steel wind fairing is included to reducing wind resistance & noise
- 【250LBS Capacity】Free up space in your vehicle with a roof rack cargo basket that safely and securely holds up to 250 lbs of cargo, gear and equipment
- 【Adjustable Fit】 Easy assembly and adjustable mounting to most round, square, aero and factory installed crossbars on a variety of cars, trucks, SUVs, vans and other large vehicles using U-bolts
- 【 Specification】Color: Black; Finish: Power Coated; Material: Steel; Weight Capacity: 250LBS; Wind Fairing Dimension: 33.5" x 7"; Bolt Spacing: 1-7/8'' x 4 3/4"; Overall Dimensions w/No Extension: 43"(L) x 39"(W) x 6'(H); Overall Dimension w/ Extension: 64"(L) x 39"(W) x 6'(H). NOTE: In order to avoid the rusting issue,using silicone sealant on the joint and welds in the assembly process is a valid measures.
This is just the base setup of a roof rack, but you can also get other accessories and mount them to your crossbars for added storage capacity.
What Your Car’s Roof Can Tell You About Your Roof Rack Options
Did you know that there are several different roof types that can determine what sort of roof rack you should purchase? Let’s take a look at a few of these roof types and some of the best roof racks for each corresponding type (Yakima and Thule are two of the best roof rack manufacturers on the market, so we’ll solely be focusing on their products).
- Bare Roof
Description: If your car just has a bare roof, then the best solution is to get a clip fit roof rack, which requires specific measures and allows you to mount the rack to your door frame using clips. You could also get a permanent rack installation, and while this offers great positioning flexibility, it also is a lot more expensive than the clip fit option.
- Secure, easy-to-use tower specifically designed for cars without roof rails or gutters
- Works with the classic Yakima RoundBar; Only fits RoundBar
- Four-way movement delivers a more solid fit; Padded base aids grip and helps preserve your paint job
- Fast and easy tool-free installation and removal; Easily locks to you vehicle with our SKS system (sold separately)
- Sold in sets of 2 or 4
Roof rack options: Yakimia Q Towers are specifically designed to accommodate fast and easy installation and provide four-way movement to ensure a solid fit. The Thule Traverse boasts an integrated tensioning tool to guarantee the rack stays completely secure at all times.
- Rain Gutters
Description: If you have an older car, you probably noticed that it has rain gutters running along the sides of the roof. With this type of roof, you could get a rain gutter tower that simply clamps down onto the gutters.
- ROOF RACKS FOR RETRO RIDES: Secure, easy-to-use tower specifically designed to clamp to old-school rain gutters
- SIMPLE INTEGRATION: Works with the classic Yakima RoundBar, opening up multiple storage options
- HARDY CONSTRUCTION: Die-cast interior creates a durable and sturdy anchor that provides solid support season after season
- SAME KEY SYSTEM: Easily locks to you vehicle with our SKS system (sold separately)
- WE'VE GOT YOUR BACK GUARANTEE: Covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty
Roof rack options: The Yakima 1A has a die-cast interior, making it a particularly sturdy option. It can also be permanently installed. The Thule 953 and 300 models are also perfect for rain gutter setups.
- Raised Side Rails
Description: Factory mounting points such as those provided by raised side rails make it easy to attach a roof rack.
- Designed exclusively for use with the new Rapid Aero Aluminum Load Bars
- Maximum Rack Strength and Custom Fit provided by Rubber-Coated Steel Strap
- Easy to install with the turn of a handle; no tools required
Roof rack options: The Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad has a sleek look, easy fit, and is accessory compatible. The Yakima Timberline is made of durable stainless steel, works with a number of different crossbars, and has a maximum load rating of close to 200 pounds.
- Factory Track
Description: Instead of raised rails, this roof has two slots running from front to back.
- Seamless factory-rack appearance
- Durable resin exterior, steel internal components
- Works with flush-mounted side rail vehicles
- Requires vehicle specific Fit Kit and square load bars, please check fit guide (sold separately)
- Locks not included. This allows you to purchase a larger pack to include locks for all of your Thule.Not for use on trailers or towed vehicles
Roof rack options: The Yakima Control Tower is particularly known for its quick installation and removal. The Thule Podium 460, on the other hand, has a durable exterior ideal for most conditions.
- Truck Canopy/Camper Tops
Description: With vehicles that have these sort of roof setups, you can either attach a rain gutter bracket, which the appropriate rain gutter tower can then attach to, or you can install a permanent custom track (this will likely require the help of a professional).
- Compatibility: Thule Gutter, Gutter High, Super High Gutter Foot Pack s
- Part Number: 542
- Recommended Use: travel
- Manufacturer Warranty: limited lifetime
Roof rack options: Yakima WideBody Brackets are quality rain gutter brackets, but they only work with the Yakima 1A. The Thule 542 rain gutters will also get the job done.
Choosing the Right Car Roof Rack for You
It is important to keep your lifestyle in mind before choosing the right car roof rack for you. Are you looking for something that has a kayak roof rack for cars or a car roof bike rack, or are you an avid camper who needs plenty of room for accessories?
Ultimately, the type of car you drive plays a big role in what sort of roof rack you can get, but there are always opportunities for custom rack or mount installations, if you are willing to spend some extra money.
Last update on 2021-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API