Those who enjoy watching videos often struggle with deciding what to keep and which to delete. This is due to the fact that there isn’t enough room on our computers to store everything we love. RAID can help in this situation!
Redundant Array of Independent Drives or Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks are two terms that RAID can stand for.
Nowadays, the former definition is thought to be the more palatable one. It functions essentially like an external drive with a lot more storage space than the ones that come with our Windows or Mac device by default.
They expand the benefit of r to 100 terabytes of storage so we can store all of our favorite content, whether for work or play.
These RAID enclosures, however, differ greatly in terms of size, transfer speed, design, and other factors. We’re here to help you find the best RAID enclosure for your particular needs, which is why we’re here.
|1||Cable Matters 10Gbps Aluminum Dual…||8.90||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 PRORAID 4 Bay…||7.90||Buy on Amazon|
|3||TERRAMASTER D2-310 USB Type C…||9.40||Buy on Amazon|
|4||OWC 0GB Mercury Elite Pro…||9.50||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Yottamaster Aluminum Alloy 5 Bay…||9.70||Buy on Amazon|
|6||Oyen Digital Mobius Pro 2C…||8.90||Buy on Amazon|
|7||Vantec Nexstar GX USB 3.0…||9.05||Buy on Amazon|
|8||ORICO 5 Bay Raid Hard…||9.05||Buy on Amazon|
|9||Mediasonic ProRaid USB 3.1 10Gbps…||9.85||Buy on Amazon|
|10||StarTech.com Dual-Slot Hard Drive Enclosure…||8.90||Buy on Amazon|
The raid enclosure With Specifications
1. Cable Matters 10Gbps Aluminum Dual Bay 2.5 Inch External SSD Enclosure (USB C Enclosure) with USB-C and USB-A Cables Supporting RAID 1 and RAID 0 – Thunderbolt 4 / USB4 / Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible
- 2.5″ USB C SSD raid enclosure supports two 2.5″ SATA SSD drives in JBOD, BIG, RAID0 and RAID1 configurations; USB C SSD Enclosure provides with optional power cable provides stable drive performance to serve as an external RAID enclosure
- USB C to SATA SSD Enclosure offers convenient and fast data back-up for temporary or long-term use; Diagnose internal SSD drives for replacement or repair with the SATA SSD adapter
- 2X faster than USB 3.0 data transfer rate support by this SSD dual bay enclosure for computers with USB A or USB C. Supports USB-A, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 computers with the included cables
- High speed USBC enclosure storage is compatible with Windows and Mac computers; USB Type C to SATA enclosure in a sturdy metal housing provides a cost-effective solution for adding additional memory without opening up your laptop
- Dual bay USB-C enclosure for portable hard drive and external SSD is compatible with SATA SSD drives such as the Samsung 860 EVO, Kingston A400 SSD, SSD Plus, Crucial MX500, WD Blue 3D NAND PC SSD
Additional Info :
2. Mediasonic HFR2-SU3S2 PRORAID 4 Bay 3.5″ SATA Hard Drive Enclosure – USB 3.0 & eSATA
- Support 3.5″ SATA I / II / III hard disk drive up to 16TB per drive, Support Hard Drive Transfer Rate up to SATA III Speed. Hardware Raid controller built-in on board with one-button control.
- One Button Raid Control support Single Drive Mode, Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD, Raid 0 (Stripping), Raid 1 (Mirroring), Raid 3 (Stripped set with dedicated parity), Raid 5 (Stripped set with distributed parity), Raid 10 (Mirroring + Striping)
- Transfer rate up to 5.0Gbps via USB 3.0, up to 3.0Gbps via eSATA.
- Smart Fan with built-in thermal-sensor, Auto & Manual modes, and 3 speed levels
- Compatible with Mac OSX 10.8 or later and Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7
Additional Info :
3. TERRAMASTER D2-310 USB Type C External Hard Drive RAID Enclosure USB3.1 (Gen1) 2-Bay RAID Storage Support RAID 0/1/Single (Diskless)
- Up to 40TB storage capacity. D2-310 can support two (2) SATA hard drives, is compatible with 20TB 3.5 inch SATA hard drive, and has a total storage capacity up to 40TB. (Note: users need to purchase their own hard drives. HDD’s are not included.). D2-310 is equipped with brand new USB type-C high-speed interface, and also works with the computers possessing the Thunderbolt 3 interface.
- Compatible with various hard drives including 3.5″ SATA hard drives, 2.5″ SATA hard drives and SSD. The product might not be able to detect the newly installed hard drives that had been used on other devices before. For the security of the data, please format the hard drives on the D2-310 before use.
- Adopts real SUPERSPEED USB3.1(Gen1) Type-C interface, the read/write speed is up to 410MB/s. Copy a 1GB video in only 2-3 seconds.
- Multiple RAIDs supported. D2-310 supports RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD and SINGLE which can better satisfy various demands of users. In RAID 1, data will be in a mirror backup. When there is a damaged hard drive, you can directly replace the hard drive, and the data will be recovered automatically. This provides an absolute security guarantee for the data.
- Various applications. Great for data backup, video editing, storage of R&D technical documents, archival backup, music libraries, financial records, storage of video surveillance recordings and corporate data storage. Featuring an aluminum-alloy shell and low-noise fans, D2-310 is extremely solid and reliable with good heat dissipation capabilities and low noise production.
Additional Info :
|Color||2-bay USB3.1 (Gen1)|
4. OWC 0GB Mercury Elite Pro Dual RAID USB 3.1 / eSATA Enclosure Kit
- 0 GB Dual bay USB 3.1 Gen 1 and eSATA equipped performance RAID enclosure
- Hardware RAID 0, 1, span, and independent modes
- Fast USB 3.1 Gen 1 & eSATA connectivity-Accelerate your workflow with transfer speeds up to 407MB/s
- Supports 2 x SATA HDDs. All Cables included
- 1 Year OWC Limited Warranty
Additional Info :
5. Yottamaster Aluminum Alloy 5 Bay USB3.0 2.5″/3.5″ External Hard Drive RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5 Inch SATA HDD Support 5 x 16TB & UASP,Ideal for Personal Storage at Home&Office- [PS500RU3]
- 【Reliable External Storage System for Individuals】This 5 bay hdd enclosure support up to 80TB external expanded storage. The front door adopt user-friendly PUSH Design for easy install and replacement of hard drives. It is an ideal choice for personal storage at home and office. It can support different drive type(s)-2,5″/3,5″ HDD/SSDs, so you can take advantage of your hard drives’ potential fully.
- 【Flexible RAID for Customized Work Need】It supports RAID 0/1/3/5/10/JBOD(SPAN)/CLONE RAID modes. You can optimize/simplify your workflow by chosing suitable RAID configuration. You can choose hardware RAID for easy set without downloading application, or you can use Software RAID to set/manage RAID modes. It is the ultimate storage solution for demanding video workflows on location and in the studio.
- 【80mm Silent Fan Inside】The 5 bay enclosure built with rugged heat-dissipating aluminum shell, front and rear with cooling holes, a 80mm silent fan inside can effectively accelerate air convection and rapid cooling. It is ideal for noise-sensitive environments.
- 【For 2,5/3,5-inch Hard Drives】It comes with five removeable trays, allowing for easy installation and replacement of either the large desktop hard disk drives or the portable laptop drives and SSD’s. Note: Spare trays are sold separately in a set of six trays, extra screws are provided, Get it at ASIN:B083S8VDQK. Five indicator lights help you to monitor the working status of your hard drives whenever.
- 【5Gbps Transfer Rate】This 5 bay hdd enclosure adopt USB3.0 protocol, transfer rate up to 5Gbps (MAX). Equipped with a versatile USB3.0 Type-B interface to connect other peripheral devices. Compatible with most Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
Additional Info :
6. Oyen Digital Mobius Pro 2C 2-Bay USB-C RAID Hard Drive Enclosure (3R2-2C-M)
- USB-C (Compatible with all USB & Thunderbolt 3). Not compatible with Thunderbolt 2.
- Supports two 3. 5-inch SATA hard drives
- Includes USB-C hub for daisy-chaining or additional USB devices
- Simple, tray-less drive insertion
- Aluminum housing and quiet fan provide excellent heat dissipation
Additional Info :
7. Vantec Nexstar GX USB 3.0 Dual 2.5″ SATA SSD/HDD RAID Enclosure, Black (NST-272S3-BK)
- Support Dual 2. 5″ SATA I/II/III SSD/HDD/SD HD (hard drive not included)
- Usb 3. 0 at super speed up to 5Gbps; Support Individual)/RAID 0/RAID 1; Auto RAID 1 rebuild; support UASP
- Support SATAIII at 6Gbps; capacity support over 2TB per drive*; USB Micro-B connector for additional power; LED for power on/standby/activities/RAID configuration
- Aluminum housing with front vents for maximum heat dissipation; power input with DC 5V/2a adapter; support 7/8. 1/10, Mac OS X 10. 6 or above, Linux Ubuntu 10. Kernel 2. 6. 38) or above
- Perfect for SSD for ultra fast speed
- Provided AC adapter Require If you are not sure your installed drive(s) power requirements
Additional Info :
8. ORICO 5 Bay Raid Hard Drive Enclosure Magnetic Aluminum USB 3.0 to SATA for 3.5 inch HDD Tool Free Storage Case Support 7 RAID Modes Up to 80TB(5X16TB) – NS500RU3
- 7 RAID MODES — The ORICO 5 bay raid enclosure equipped with raid function for the various uses. The 5 bay external hard drive enclosure can support raid 0/1/3/5/10/JBOD/Clone and normal raid to allow users to adjust and set up by dialing combination according to your needs.
- LARGE CAPACITY — Every single disk of the 3.5 usb raid enclosure can reach up to 16TB, altogether 80TB larger capacity for the enterprises big data backup and storage, also a good choice for nas expansion. The 3.5inch sata enclosure can support 3.5inch HDD and 2.5inch SSD/HDD with a bracket.
- QUALITY CHIP CONTROL — The 5 bay usb enclosure adopts three high quality chips, which has both transmission performance for fast 5Gbps and stability and can carry the huge data interaction of the enterprise, reduce the delay.
- GOOD HEAT DISSIPATION PERFORMANCE — A 92mm cooling fan built in the usb drive enclosure with honeycomb dissipation holes at the back of the 3.5 hdd enclosure, and the aluminum alloy material made the whole 5 bay external raid enclosure can helps to accelerate the flowing wind and heat dissiapation for prolong the service life of the hard drive.
- 12 MONTH QUALITY ASSURANCE WITH LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT – All ORICO products purchased through Amazon include an 12-month quality assurance and lifetime technical support. If for any reason, you are dissatisfied with the product, just let us know and we promise to make it right.
Additional Info :
9. Mediasonic ProRaid USB 3.1 10Gbps 2 Bay 2.5” & 3.5” SATA Hard Drive Enclosure – USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps / USB-C/USB Type C (HUR5-SU31C)
- Hardware embedded Raid controller ensure data integrity with redundant back up capability, support Single Mode, JBOD Mode, Raid 0 Mode, and Raid 1 Mode
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 transfer rate up to 10Gbps. USB-C / USB Type C Interface.
- Support all brand of 2.5-inch & 3.5-inch SATA SSD / HDD up to 16TB per drive, and support SATA III 6.0Gbps speed.
- Support UASP for faster transfer rate, LED light indicator for system status monitoring.
- S.M.A.R.T function with built-in temperature sensor control. Please Note: 4Kn hard drive is supported. However, Power Disabled Feature hard drive is NOT supported. For example: WD Enterprise HDD and HGST HDD.
Additional Info :
10. StarTech.com Dual-Slot Hard Drive Enclosure for M.2 SATA SSDs – USB 3.1 (10Gbps) – Aluminum – M.2 to SATA – Raid Drive Enclosure (SM22BU31C3R)
- BROAD COMPATIBILTY: This laptop hard drive enclosure supports all common M.2 SATA SSDs, and enables you to mount multiple drive lengths: 30 mm (2230), 42 mm (2242), 60 mm (2260) and 80 mm (2280).
- ENHANCED PERFORMANCE: The dual M.2 SATA enclosure supports RAID 0, RAID 1, Spanning, and JBOD, enabling you to choose your preferred backup mode. It also supports SSD TRIM to prolong drive lifespan and performance.
- EASY TO USE: This dual-slot M.2 RAID enclosure is ideal for professionals who need fast access to important data files. It enables you to access your data by creating a high-performance, portable storage solution using two M.2 (NGFF) SATA SSDs.
- INCREASED SECURITY: The RAID enclosure ensures easy access to your files for data migration and data backups so that you can safeguard important data at all times.
Additional Info :
What are the benefits of external hard drive enclosures?
Thanks to them, you can use an internal hard drive more like a stand-alone external drive. This allows you to place the drive wherever you like and set up multiple storage drives even if your PC case doesn’t have enough room. Additionally, moving the drive outside the PC can help the computer run cooler, and some enclosures can even make switching drives much simpler.
By upgrading your internal drive and then putting it in an external drive enclosure, you can save money if your laptop or desktop has a smaller capacity drive. Both solid-state drives and spinning hard disk drives can be used with these enclosures. A solid-state drive will give you greater durability because fewer moving parts could malfunction.
What materials are hard drive enclosures typically made out of?
This can vary greatly: Common primary material selections include plastic and aluminum. You could also use other metals, like sturdy steel. Whatever the material, the enclosure must allow for efficient heat dissipation and should be strong enough to shield the drive from spills and knocks.
Rubber bumpers or rubber gaskets may be included in more robust external hard drive enclosures to protect the internal drive, and less mobile enclosures designed for indoor use are likely to have fans and active cooling systems.
Best RAID Enclosure Buying Guide
The primary purpose of purchasing a RAID enclosure is to increase the amount of storage space for your files. In order to find the best RAID enclosure, your eyes will naturally gravitate toward the storage capacity.
Each terabyte, which is equal to 1,000 GB, serves as a unit of measurement for this capacity. At least 4 TB of storage space should be available in your chosen RAID enclosure. Depending on the number of bays or trays it has, it can reach up to 90 TB. How many drives you can fit in each bay depends on this value.
Rate of Data Transfer
The amount of data that can be transferred from one location to another is referred to as the data transfer rate. Your device’s USB port has a significant impact. According to their USB ports, RAID enclosures typically have speeds ranging from 480 Mbps to 10 Gbps.
You can get the 480 Mbps transfer rate using a USB 2.0 or Hi-speed USB. With USB 3.0 or first-generation USB 3.1, you can achieve a 5 Gbps transfer rate. You’ll need USB 3.1 or USB 3.2 ports from the second generation to get 10 Gbps.
Size of the physical drive
Most contemporary desktops and laptops use 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch drives, respectively, even though older computers had larger hard drives measuring 5.25 inches. The latter ones are much heavier than the former ones, but laptop drives are much lighter.
In order to fit into the fashionable slim designs, some devices or models have ultra-thin drives that are only 1.8 inches thick.
Most well-liked RAID enclosures have bays that can accommodate both 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drives. By selecting these models, you can find a secure location to keep both desktop and laptop large folders. If you only use one of the two, you can choose an enclosure that can hold a drive with that specific physical size.
RAID enclosures come in a variety of modes or configurations so you can pick the most effective one for your projects. Each of these offers a unique set of benefits and drawbacks.
For instance, the RAID 0 mode can accommodate at least two disk drives with even data distribution.
Unfortunately, it is unable to maintain redundant data or guarantee protection. The two drives are mirror images of one another in RAID 1, which improves performance but reduces total storage capacity by 50%.
Two or more RAID 1 arrays of equal size are used in RAID 10 mode. For better performance, they have striped and mirrored the data.
RAID 5 has data redundancy that corrects errors and requires a minimum of three disk drives.
Additional modes include 3, 50, 6, 60, JBOD, SPAN, and CLONE. To choose an enclosure that offers all or the majority of them, you must first determine which are absolutely necessary for your content storage.
Almost all RAID enclosures have a cooling fan built into the shell. For the maintenance of this device, an 80 mm smart fan is pretty much a requirement.
It frequently includes a temperature sensor built-in that is capable of maintaining a cool environment. Some of them are made to operate quietly so that you and those around you won’t be disturbed.
Compatibility with Systems
Make sure the RAID enclosure you choose is compatible with your operating system. Almost all enclosures are compatible with the most widely used operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. Some models, however, only work with one of them.
RAID enclosure prices typically range depending on how much storage they offer.
For instance, an enclosure with just 4 TB of storage space might cost less than $50. On the other hand, those that provide 64-90 terabytes or more can cost more than a few hundred dollars. However, the majority of common or standard enclosures cost more than $100.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can an HDD Enclosure Be Used With an SSD?
Although it is not advised, you can store SSD drives in an HDD enclosure. It will function properly if your SSD has both a SATA data and power connection. Most desktop computers can internally connect to it. Alternatively, you could perform the installation using a USB to SATA converter.
How Do NAS And RAID Differ From One Another?
The terms “Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks” (RAID) and “Network Attached Storage” (NAS) are frequently used interchangeably. They do differ in a few ways, though.
RAID stores large files and eliminates redundancy, but despite being an external drive, it functions for individual users much like an internal hard drive. However, NAS performs better when connecting multiple workstations to the same software and information.
Is RAID 0 Appropriate for Gaming?
RAID 0 can help you with your gaming by reducing loading times and increasing overall speeds. One of the most affordable RAID configurations, it makes use of the striping technique.
Because it uses two drives with equally distributed data, each of which holds half of your total data, unfortunately, since there is no backup for the data, the likelihood that it will be lost forever increases.
What Distinguishes USB 3.0 From USB 3.1?
It can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between USB 3.0 and USB 3.1. This occurs because the former is commonly referred to as USB 3.1 Gen 1 and the latter as USB 3.1 Gen 2, respectively. The second one is preferred because it can provide data transfer speeds that are twice as fast (10 Gbps).
Are hard drive enclosures safe to use?
Your PC case itself is a type of safe-to-use hard drive enclosure. The crucial inquiry is whether the external enclosure has the necessary capabilities to defend the drive on its own. A lot of our selections feature hardwearing materials, cooling systems, and indicator lights, all of which aid in hard drive management. Prioritize quality over quantity because cheap materials or poor designs that increase heat instead of reducing it can be bad for your drive.